Military Time Recapture

American Federal assists those who have dedicated their careers to service. We guide Federal  & Postal employees to make long-lasting employment, benefit, and retirement decisions that will serve them well. As a Federal Employee, you most likely chose your position due to the great benefits in store for you when you retire.

You have so many options when it comes to your benefits choices and understanding how they all work for you and your dependents can be challenging. Don't wait till retirement to learn what you can keep and how they work after retirement. Request your No-Cost Retirement Benefits Analysis Report today.


  • Military Time Recapture/Buyback:
    If you served in the Armed Forces of the United States, your service time could be creditable for retirement purposes if it was active service terminated under honorable conditions, and performed prior to your separation from civilian service for retirement.
    Employees must send a written request (Form RI 20-97) to the appropriate DFAS Center for their branch of service. You must use a separate request for each branch of service with a copy of the appropriate DD214(s) attached to each request.                         
  • Request a copy of your DD214  Use a Standard Form 180 (SF-180) 11/17/2010                                                                             
  • Send requests to:                                                                                                                                                                                            National Personnel Records Center
    Military Personnel Records
    1 Archives Drive
    St. Louis, Missouri 63138        
  • Application to Make Deposit or Redeposit for your Retirement System
    FERS employees must fill out  SF 3108 09/28/2012 
     CSRS employees must fill out  SF 2803 09/28/2012                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
  • Fill out Form RI 20-97 
  • Find your appropriate DFAS office at the following website: DFAS-Civilian Employees
  • Mail your RI 20-97 [with your DD214] to the appropriate address/fax number 
  • For More Information about how buying your time back may help you in retirement contact us today.                                                                                   


We service:

Veterans Affairs
Veterans Health Administration
United States Postal Service
Social Security Administration
Transportation Security Administration
Health and Human Services
Department of Transportation
Department of Labor
Department of Defense
Housing and Urban Development
... and more!